Families with high school students come in a variety of shapes and sizes, much different than those from several decades ago. And, the college admissions process has grown to become more complex and often confusing for many . . . especially those who remember how simple things were. Unfortunately, it’s not so easy anymore! With no guarantee of getting accepted into any college, the process to be invited into the classroom is one that requires patience, time, more patience and even more time! On top of it all, it requires parents to become something of a cross between a super-soccer mom, air-traffic controller, travel agent, secretary, librarian and life coach. It’s because of these incredible demands on the family that parents have turned to qualified independent educational consultants to assist in the journey. Consider some of these facts:
- While the college counselors at local schools are exceptional resources, they are faced with an ever growing challenge of meeting the needs of all students entrusted to them when it comes to college selection and the admissions process. The ASCA (American School Counselor Association) recommends a 250 to 1 ratio of students to school counselors. Unfortunately, they report the national average as 459 with Georgia listed at 454. Today’s school counselors are vital members of the education team. They help all students in the areas of academic achievement, personal/social development and career development, ensuring today’s students become the productive, well-adjusted adults of tomorrow. (ASCA, 2013)
- There are more students today applying to multiple schools made easy by services like the common application.
- With this flood of applications comes the decrease in the acceptance rates throughout the country. Getting into college is no longer a “shoe-in.”
- Just because mom or dad went there doesn’t mean Jr. will too! Colleges are far more selective now than ever before!
- The number one issue that keeps students from attending college and fulfilling their dreams is college funding. With the rapidly growing cost of education, families are facing new challenges financially.
Capstone’s mission is:
to assist families of college-bound students
to think strategically through the admissions process
to make informed and confident decisions on the college that fits best.
Our main goal at Capstone is to provide a personal and strategic approach to the complicated process of college selection and admission through tailored methods — serving the whole family while helping students identify colleges that fit them best.
For more information, contact Capstone to begin the journey!