Many parents ask us if beginning the college journey as early as the 9th grade or 10th grade is too early. We like to start talking to families when their student is just beginning high school. It is important to us because we feel the college journey should be more like a search and discovery than a sprint to the finish.
At Capstone Educational Consultants, our college and educational counseling services lead with preparing students for the college application process. We believe by getting an early start on what will become a fast-paced experience, the less stress there is, the better.
It is unfortunate, but many students and their families rarely begin thinking about college during the early years of high school. As a result, stress and frustration escalate due to waiting until the last minute. By starting early, students are able to be more intentional about course selections and their extra-curricular activity involvement. Capstone counselors are also able to establish a standardized test timeline strategy best suited to meet their academic goals.
No matter when you may start the process, Capstone counselors make the journey smoother, more relaxed, organized and customized to the students needs and goals.
Here is a list of services Capstone provides students in early high school:
College Counseling Services for 9th Grade and 10th Grade Students
- Regular meetings to review academic schedule to ensure college readiness.
- Interest assessments to identify potential areas of study and career likelihood.
- Learning style inventories to determine environments best suited for learning and study.
- Intelligence inventories to better understand how the student processes information.
- Review students time management and study skills with recommendations for improvement.
- Develop a personal biography in preparation for upcoming essays.
- Academic enrichment recommendations in the event school has become boring, not performing well or no longer challenged.
- Personally approved recommendations for ACT/SAT prep and/or tutoring.
- Suggestions for extracurricular activities and community service possibilities.
- Explore the possibilities for summer programs or internships.
- Work with students in learning more about college research.
- Customized list of colleges for visiting either in-person or online.
- Local college visits with students (upon request).
Applying to college has become incredibly competitive. It has never been more important than now to be intentional and calculated about preparing for that moment. Starting early opens the doors to the most options and the best opportunities to get into the right college.
With our college and educational counseling services for 9th and 10th graders, we will help students and families navigate the complicated journey toward college. Contact us today and let’s talk about you, your student and how we can best serve you.